Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Don't Let Them Die! (Or Maybe Do...)

I realized today that, after getting back to novel work after some time off, that the way I saw my characters had completely changed. I saw their motivations differently, I wanted them saying something in a whole new way. So in essence, the characters I had spent some serious time building weeks ago are now gone. Dead. Deceased. No more.

I've heard of this happening with writers. Many say it's important to work on your story every single day. They say to not ignore your characters, otherwise they begin to slip and you forget who they were. Since your characters only have you to represent them, if you don't try, then they're gone from the world of readers eyes. Make sense?

What didn't make sense about that theory is that I realized the new way I wrote my characters was actually better that what I was doing before. Each action a person takes leading up to plot points makes more sense now and doesn't come off as contrived because I've changed the way they act. So in reality, NOT writing for several weeks was the saving grace of this story. I like what they're all doing now. I'm excited to write this tale again! Good God, I should slack off more sometime. I'll have a best seller on my hands!

1 comment:

Neesha and Dustin said...

It's good to see you back on here, Ben! Now we must see you in person again sometime soon, too!