I always have to wake up early to get to work. This morning I figured Why not just do the blog in the morning when I'm attentive, instead in the evening when I'm groggy? Personal history has taught me to always listen to the voices in my head, so morning time entries it shall be. The best blogs, vlogs, etc. I've seen over the years put in early morning updates, like newspapers. You wouldn't put much faith in the Times if they didn't release their stuff around dinner time now would you?
What a hell of a day yesterday was for me though. After waking up on a friends couch, I headed out and went to get some breakfast at Ernie's in Columbia, taking my notebook with me. I wrote a little before my meal came, then stuck around for 30 minutes afterwards to keep writing and refilling my coffee. When Columbia Public Library opened, I went over there to write. I realized in all this that where one writes can really affect how efficient they are. I got through two pages while at Ernie's and then another seven during a two hour writing period at the library.
Since I was at the library, I thought I'd see if they had any books on the subject of writing that the kids in college would want to get their hands on. It turns out that, yes, there's a book here and there; by which I mean entire sections full of the things. I couldn't check them all out, so I to scan the shelves to see what looked good. I didn't know how to tell, thus the eyes-closed-and-point method was used. If that didn't work I just grabbed whatever looked good. Ended up going with four books, as that was all I felt like carrying out of there: "Master Class in Writing: Techniques from Austen, Hemingway, and Other Greats," "How Fiction Works: Secrets to Writing Successful Stories That Sell," "The 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes (And How to Avoid Them)," and my personal favorite just based on the title, "Novelist's Boot Camp: 101 Ways to Take Your Book from Boring to Bestseller." As I move forward with drafts and the like, I'll try to give more details on how much help each of these volumes give to me.
Monday, December 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment