Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Studying the past masters

Today, in addition to the normal slew of writing, I also began reading a biography of Alexander Dumas, whom most of you would know as the author of The Three Musketeers, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Man in the Iron Mask, and a number of other great classic novels that bland, mediocre movies have been made out of. Considering the scope of Dumas' works, I'd really like to get a grasp on what kind of man it took to produce such books that were equal parts massive and captivating.

In addition to that library book, I also picked up a biography on Ayn Rand. I like her novels, though I'm not quite as militant as she was with such ideologies. After reading both The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, one could only be curious what Rand was like in real life, if she lived what she preached. I'm hoping not, because that would be both frightening and quite dull.

No comments: